Tax Credit Information

Tax Credit Information

Federal Tax Credits: Renewed for 2016 and Retroactive for 2013

The American Taxpayer Relief Act of 2012 has been modified and extended and provides tax credits for appliances, new homes and retrofits to existing homes. You may be eligible for a tax credit if you have purchased or purchase certain types of heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) systems, water heating equipment, or make other energy-related improvements in your home between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2016.

Here's what you need to know about these tax credits:  

What equipment qualifies for the credit?
High-efficiency water heaters, furnaces, boilers, heat pumps, central air conditioners, building insulation, windows, roofs, biomass stoves, and circulating fans used in qualifying gas furnaces.

What's the maximum amount that a homeowner can receive in tax credits?
 The maximum amount an eligible homeowner may receive in tax credits for improvements is $500. If you have already claimed credits of $500 or more from improvements made in 2011 or any year prior, you are ineligible to claim new credits for any new improvements made up until the tax credit expiration date of December 31, 2016.

Can these tax credits be applied to energy-efficient equipment purchased for a second home?
In order for purchases of high-efficiency heating, cooling and water heating equipment to be eligible for this tax credit, the equipment must be installed in a primary residence that is owned and used by the taxpayer.

What do I need to do to take advantage of this tax credit?
Your local contractor who installs the equipment can help make sure that you have the right documentation needed to claim the tax credit.

Find qualifying equipment:



  • ENERGY STAR models available for sale in the U.S. These products have been submitted to EPA by ENERGY STAR partners that do participate in the AHRI certification program.